Week 11 Story: The Jealous Uncle part A

Link to my current story on my portfolio: https://sites.google.com/view/literacybyliv/the-jealous-uncle


Thick fluffy snow covered the earth and glistened as the moonlight light up the wintery mix. It was the eve of Caroline’s first birthday. A normal family would be eagerly waiting this day. Blowing up balloons, baking a cake, and inviting their friends and family over to celebrate but it was quite the opposite for the Baker family. The Baker’s spent the night before their daughters first birthday in distress. 

The Bakers have a long line of crazy in their family tree. One person in particular is great uncle Phil, the younger brother of Mr. Baker’s father. Mr. Baker and his brother were one of the only sane ones in the family. On the eve of Mr. Baker and his brothers’ children’s first birthday great uncle Phil would sneak into their homes in the dead of night and steal their children. The only way they knew it was him was from the signature he left on the crib. Caroline was Mr. and Mrs. Baker’s forth child to have but the only one still remaining in their care. The Bakers and the police worked around the clock to find great uncle Phil but were never successful. 

This year the Bakers and the police were determined to put a stop to this madness. On the eve of Caroline’s first birthday the police were station outside of the Bakers house in hopes of finally catching the uncle. Hours and hours passed by with nothing in sight but an occasional neighborhood cat that scampered across the street. As the sun began to rise the cops became hopeful that for whatever reason great uncle Phil had decided not to show up.

After a couple more hours of staying on watch, the cops went inside the Baker’s home to make sure Caroline was still safely sleeping in her bed. As the cops approached the front door of the home, they heard a frantic scream. Throwing open the front door they sprinted upstairs to Caroline’s room. Where they found Mr. and Mrs. Baker curled up on the floor in pure panic and an empty crib. Caroline was gone.













Photo by Tenor 

Author’s Note: 

My inspiration for this story was “The Jealous Uncle” from the Native American Hero Tales by Stith Thompson. In the original story there was an unnatural uncle who would kill his nephews when they became a few years old. The children’s parents were terrified to lose their kids but didn’t know how to stop the unnatural uncle. This story was spread out of three different readings. I became inspired by this for my own story. That is why in my story I ended the story with a cliff hanger because I plan to write a part 2. Great uncle Phil is created to resemble the unnatural uncle and Caroline was created to resemble the boy in The Jealous Uncle. 

Comments

  1. Hey Olivia!
    I originally found this story on your blog, as opposed to your project, so only seeing the first half left me quite a bit confused to say the least. The conclusion definitely made the story significantly better, and made the whole thing make a lot more sense. I will say that the choice of image for the post and project broke my immersion to reading it completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Olivia!

    Wow, this story is definitely intense. I read through the author’s note to get a feel for the original story. I think you did a really good job of keeping the original feel and yet still adding in your own twists and changes! I’m excited to read part two of the story!
    Good luck these last few weeks!

    Best,
    - JD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Olivia!

    Let me start off by saying that I love your take on this story! I thought it was incredibly intriguing, and I could not stop reading until I reached the end! You did an incredible job on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment